All schools demonstrate a positive and inclusive school climate where all students, staff, parents, and families feel safe, welcome, valued and respected.
The “Look Fors” described below are taken from the effective practices and integration sections of the Going Deeper Rubric:
- Using the climate survey to assess the state of the school environment, and to make changes where necessary.
- Developing, monitoring and systematically reviewing the workplace climate plan, and modifying the plan as needed.
- Dealing with complaints about discrimination, bullying and harassment fairly and in a timely manner.
- Providing ready access to caring adults in the school to support students who experience personal or emotional stress.
Further Your Discussion
- How do we use the results of the school climate surveys of students, staff and parents to make improvements in schools?
- How can we ensure that all students are able to report and make complaints about incidents about bullying, harassment or discrimination without fear or intimidation?
- How do we promote shared responsibility among students, staff, parents and the community for maintaining safe, welcoming and inclusive school environments?
For more information, see How Do We Know We Are Making A Difference? A Reflective Tool for School and System Leaders on the Implementation of Ontario’s Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy (PDF Available in English or French)